To work on explosive movements and improve acceleration.
No equipment needed. Find a wall and have the athletes spread out facing the wall.
- The athletes will begin by putting their hands on the wall and leaning against it, getting their feet as far away from the wall as they can.
- Next, they will lift up one foot, loading their weight onto the other leg.
- Coach will yell out “Switch!”, triggering the athlete to explode off the back leg and bring the front leg down, then immediately explode another time, returning to the starting position.
- The coach will continue to yell “Switch!” every few seconds for 30-60 seconds.
- Again, make sure to double check the position of the front leg – it should be in the air with the knee bent and the shin of the front leg parallel to the one behind.
- To make this drill a little more difficult, we can also do ‘Triples’, with the athlete quickly swapping foot position 3 times on the coach’s command.
- The last variation we can do is something called “Six Second Push”.
- For this variation of the wall drill the coach will out “Switch!” and the athlete will explode and swap the legs back and forth as fast as they can for 6 total seconds.