Runner builds rhythm in his or her stride making the energy expended in the stride efficient and effective.
- The sprinters should have a clear track or grass area of about 50 to 60m in length.
How it Works
- The runner begins this drill at half speed, focusing on getting the heels back near the buttocks with each exaggerated stride.
- Half speed strides with the heels coming back should go for 50m. The runner should rest and repeat… rest and repeat.
- Speed is not important in this drill – form and execution of the heel kick is what the sprinter should focus on.
- The sprinter needs to focus on creating a rhythmic motion – not one that is wild and unpredictable. Energy that is expended during a sprint needs to be focused – and this drill should help the runner work on form and rhythm during their sprint.