To prepare the body for more intensive exercise while improving coordination, conditioning and flexibility.
Setup 6 hurdles one after another.
Have your athletes line up beside the first hurdle standing perpendicular.
- On the coach’s command, the athletes will begin a sideways skipping motion, bringing their leg straight out and over the hurdle.
- They will continue to skip sideways using the same leg the whole way down.
- After completing one set, the athlete will return to their starting position and perform another set, this time using the other leg.
- Next, they will return to the start for another set, but this time they will bend their leg at the knee so that the sole of their foot is parallel to the ground as they step over the hurdle.
- After completing a bent knee set, the athlete will return to their starting position and perform another set, this time using the other leg.
- Athletes shouldn’t be sliding or scuffing along the ground as they do these step over drills. Ideally, the only noise you would hear is the tapping off the ground.