A challenging drill that will improve your sprinter’s ability to explode off the blocks as well as their comfort and confidence with getting into an accelerated posture.
Setup 10 cones in a line about 10 meters apart.
Have the sprinters begin at one end of the line.
- The athlete will begin by getting into a set position.
- They will then slowly lower themselves until their nose is just off the ground.
- On the coach’s command, the athlete will push off the ground with their hands.
- The athlete will then clap their hands and immediately push off the line, accelerating out of that suspended position into a sprint.
- They will then accelerate forwards for about 10-15 meters before breaking back down into a light jog for the next 10-15 meters.
- Repeat all the way down the track.
- One of the greatest benefits of this drill is that it will teach your sprinters to have faith in their feet – they will be suspended in the air at a very steep angle, and the only thing that will prevent them from falling flat on their face is a strong push off the blocks.
- Immediately after the clap, emphasize the importance of pumping the arms – this will help trigger the legs and get an even more explosive start off the blocks.