Helps middle distance runners build endurance and strength while also developing a good rhythmic stride.
- Set up a 30 to 45 minute course that has varied terrain.
- Mark off which areas are sprint areas, jog areas, walking and rhythmic stride areas.
How it Works
- Runners must follow the route as laid out by the coach, being sure to meet certain intervals for each section.
- Cross country – particularly when done during the offseason – can be a great strength builder that will allow middle distance runners to finish strong when racing during the season.
- The most difficult part of this drill may be creating the course itself. Look to include areas and terrains that cover the different elements of successful middle and long distance running, such as: endurance, sprinting and strength.