Hurdler develops their technique for going over the first hurdle.
- Set up the starting blocks as done for the beginning of the race.
- Place one hurdle at the normal first hurdle position.
How it Works
- The hurdler bursts out of the starting blocks and sprints to the first hurdle – maintaining their lean while hurdling the first hurdle.
- Work on the drill until the form is acceptable.
- The first hurdle can be a challenge for some runners as they are still in a full lean as they gain acceleration. That’s why this drill is important to work on throughout the season.
- As the runner explodes from the blocks, you do not want them dropping acceleration by standing straight up and down to meet the first hurdle. Instead, they need to work on keeping their acceleration lean while hurdling the first hurdle.