Runners get used to the speed of the relay and work on the timing of the handoff.
- Mark out acceleration and exchange zones on a track using cones or cut up tennis balls.
How it Works
- Receiver runs at full speed from acceleration zone into the exchange zone.
- He or she counts their steps “one-three-five-seven” and puts hand back to receive the baton.
- Passer follows and accelerates into position but doesn’t pass the baton.
- This drill is about developing timing. Runners should be accelerating to full speed.
- Receiver should be maintaining proper form when reaching back for baton.
- Head should not turn back. Receiver should be looking straight ahead.