Vaulter learns how to carry the pole in a comfortable position.
- Use a regular pole vault setup.
How it Works
- Run the vaulter through several sprint training drills, such as bounding, high knees, etc., so the vaulter can find a comfortable grip and have confidence in their approach with the pole.
- Watch for proper approach technique: chest square to the box, tall strides, knee lift and then the lowering of the pole in order to hit the box squarely.
- If you have a smaller pole (or a pole stub) you could use that to begin with in this drill. Then switch to a longer pole later when the vaulter is more experienced.
- This drill is important for the vaulter to get a feeling for carrying the pole during various part of the approach.